Are you a current or former foster youth 14-25 years old?
Do you want to learn how to advocate for policy change in the Oregon Legislature?
Want to be at the table to improve foster care?
Come to our Advocacy Convening!
Connect with 35-40 current and former foster youth from Oregon and learn about
When: Saturday, January 26th – Monday, January 28th
The OFYC Advocacy Convening is a 3 day, 2 night conference where you will have a chance to advocate for OFYC’s 2019 legislative concept: Expanding ILP services, which will help all current and future youth eligible for ILP services in Oregon!
But the conference isn’t all about work! You’ll make friends and participate in fun evening activities!
Here is an idea of what your time at the convening will look like:
Day 1 (Saturday):
- Welcome and OFYC 101
- Thinking Critically About ILP
- Evening Activities
Day 2 (Sunday):
- Framing Your Issue and Public Speaking
- Prep for Meetings with Legislators
- Evening Activities
Day 3 (Monday):
- Legislative Meetings at the Capitol
- Wrap Up and Goodbye
Let us know how we could support you to attend. We support youth with gender neutral bathrooms, a counselor, a nurse, transportation, safety planning, accessible materials, childcare ( with advance request), etc.
You can apply by clicking one of the links below:
- Online Application Participant/Youth
- PDF version of Youth Application
- DOC version of Youth Application
- Online Application Adult Supporter
- PDF version of Adult Supporter Application
- DOC version of Adult Supporter Application
Foster Parents & Caseworkers
This 3 day, 2 night gathering focuses on teamwork, critical thinking, public speaking, and leadership development, building a sense of community, having fun and making history! Through daily workshops and activities, youth will work together and learn how to use their experiences to direct policy change. On the final day of the conference they will get the chance to share OFYC’s Legislative Concept directly with legislators during our meetings at the Capitol.
For more information about this conference, please see this attached flyer.
Important Documents (will be loaded soon):
- 2019 Packing List, Be sure to use it
- Media Release Form
- Background check form
- Driver’s License & Insurance Verification for Adult Supporters: This is if you will be providing transport for youth.
- OFYC’s Draft of Expectations of youth who attend our conferences: Expectations for Participants DRAFT
- School Letter try to get credit for attending this event or to get an excused absence.
- 2019 Advocacy Convening Flyer- This flyer was created to help explain what the 2019 Advocacy Convening is. Please share it with anyone you think may be interested (a friend, foster parent, caseworker).