Are you a current or former foster youth 14-25 years old?
Do you want to learn how to advocate for policy change in the Oregon Legislature?
Do you want to be at the table to improve foster care?
Come to our virtual Advocacy Convening!
Connect with 35-40 current and former foster youth from Oregon and learn about
OFYC’s 2021 Bill: Eliminating Bias from Child Welfare Responses.
Where: At your computer or phone
When: Friday, January 22rd – Sunday, January 24th with meetings with legislators throughout the week of the 25th
Registration is now closed..
The OFYC virtual Advocacy Convening is a 3-day conference where you will have a chance to advocate for OFYC’s 2021 bill: Eliminating Bias from Child Welfare Responses. It will help reduce the disproportionate numbers of Black and Indigenous youth in foster care in Oregon as well as provide more resources to families before youth are taken into foster care.
- We’ll learn how bias causes different families to have different experiences with child welfare
- We’ll learn how to share our stories and talk to legislators
- We’ll actually meet with legislators (virtually) throughout the week in small groups to ask for their support
But the conference isn’t all about work! You’ll make friends and participate in (optional) fun evening activities!
Here is an idea of what your time at the conference will look like (Draft Agenda):
Day 1 – Friday, January 22nd:
- (Optional) Afternoon Sessions as seen below
- (Optional) Agenda Review and Check-in Activity
Day 2 – Saturday, January 23rd:
- Morning Sessions as seen below
- Afternoon Sessions as seen below
- (Optional) Community Building fun
Day 3 – Sunday, January 24th:
- Morning Sessions as seen below
- Afternoon Session as seen below
Monday, January 25th – Friday, January 29th:
- (Optional) Morning Meetings with Legislators
- (Optional) Afternoon Meetings with Legislators
“Sessions” will be things like: OFYC Intro, Thinking Critically About Bias, Framing Your Issue, Public Speaking, Prep for Meetings with Legislators
Let us know how we could support you to attend. We will do our best to support youth with accessible materials, problem solving technology or internet issues, etc. (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or scroll down to see contact information for Lisa and Sage)
Registration Materials will be available below:
- Registration Participant/Youth (online form)
- Photo/Media Release Form for Participants (online form)
- Application Adult Supporter (online form)
- Photo/Media Release Form for Adult Supporter (online form)
- Background Check Adult Supporter (PDF)
Foster Parents & Caseworkers
This 3-day virtual gathering focuses on teamwork, critical thinking, public speaking, leadership development, building a sense of community, having fun and making history! Through daily workshops and activities, youth will work together and learn how to use their experiences to direct policy change. During the week after the conference youth will get the chance to share OFYC’s Bill directly with legislators.
Important Documents (will be loaded soon!):
- This link goes to the 2021 Prep List, Be sure to use it! Prep List!
- This link will take you to a copy of OFYC’s Expectations of youth who attend our conferences: Conference Rules & Expectations
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Sage, OFYC’s Intern (email email@example.com or message her on Facebook) or Lisa, OFYC’s Program Director (leave a message 503-236-9754 extension 1, email Lisa@ourchildrenoregon.org, or message her on Facebook).